Your browser was unable to load all of the resources. They may have been blocked by your firewall, proxy or browser configuration.
Press Ctrl+F5 or Ctrl+Shift+R to have your browser try again.

Execute Batch/Shell vs Command Line Execution #3785

ExtraLifeMatt ·

Hey all,

I have QuickBuild launching a 3rd party app through a Batch/Shell command step. The app is a full screen D3D-esque application, so it's easy to see if it launched or not. What I'm seeing is 50% of the time the app simply doesn't launch, despite QB saying its started. If I copy and paste the command line being used, it works fine (same working directory, etc). I'm curious if I'm simply using the wrong step type for this particular step.

What, exactly, is the difference between a Batch/Shell execution vs a Command Line execution in a windows environment?

• solved #2
  • replies 3
  • views 1143
  • stars 0
robinshen ADMIN ·

Batch/shell should be used for new steps and command line execution is kept for backward compatibility reason. For your case, please run QB in console mode (agent console) instead of service mode to see if it works.

ExtraLifeMatt ·

Thanks Robin, the console version seems to work properly.

robinshen ADMIN ·

Executing external program with GUI normally requires console mode, or if you need to run QB in service mode, you may try with the interact with desktop option via NT service control panel.